Yesterday everyone tackled a handful of little things that needed to get done while we wait for other things that are taking some time. There is an internal shear wall that somehow never got structural sheathing on it. Because our stairwell interrupts structure on the whole east side of the house, we need this to pick up that side of our floors and keep them from wobbling. So that got mostly sheathed. We also now have a framed out doorway to our root cellar for whenever the interior doors show up. As for the other things that were supposed to happen this week… It looks now like siding should be showing up on Monday, and we might even start putting it up that day. And the trench for our electrical supply also looks like it might happen on Monday. The ground was just way too saturated last week to dig so we didn’t do anything beyond cutting the sidewalk. Built in cabinets, we hope, are still coming before the holidays.
We have three of them. First, we are still waiting on the HRV. We found out this week that while the specific model that we requested had to be made for us, there are other similar models that are just on stock and could have been installed weeks ago. This would have been nice to know earlier because that little piece of bad communication has pushed back our expected move-in by almost a month.
Another big issue being dealt with at the moment are our floor joists below the bedroom:
They make up a portion of the living room ceiling and are supposed to be open. While wiring up our ceiling, our electrician sent everything through the middle of our joists cutting an assortment of sloppy looking holes. We’ve been considering a few options for this… We could just sheet rock over the whole thing, we could move the wires and deal with making the holes look presentable, or we could tear out those three joists and laminate thicker plywood to the floor above. I think the last option is what we’re planning to do. So there’ll be some discussion with our engineer as to how we might go about that prior to the sheet rock, which at this point is probably due to go in the first week of January.
Our last big issue that we’re dealing with is our hot water. We made the soaking tub decision well after the point when we should have and didn’t really consider how we might fill a 171 gallon tub. Not that we’ll be filling it very often, but when we do, we should be set up to provide a serious soak. The twist to this is that during the course of construction, heat pump water heaters have become readily available. At the time of permits, we were planning to use an on-demand system for the whole house, but heat pump systems use just a third of the energy and have a great payback time (plus you can get tax credits for them). Additionally, the heat pump produces cool air which we can use to further chill our root cellar. The problem is that a fifty gallon tank will not do much to fill a large tub with hot water, so it looks like we’re probably going to have to go with multiple systems hacked together where we have a heat pump serving most things in the house and the smallest on-demand system that we feel comfortable with serving just the tub.
I would also like to call a little attention to a new page on our site. We’ve gotten quite a few questions about our budget. Most people assume that we are hesitant to share this kind of information, we aren’t we’ve just kind of neglected to make it available. Its important to us that people be able to use this blog as a resource that can hopefully inform anyone looking at undertaking this kind of project as to what they might expect to go through. So I added a page that outlines roughly how much we are spending and on what.