We were able to take advantage of the great weather this weekend to finally paint our window frames and on Monday our contractor had a couple guys come out to paint the windows that require being up on a tall ladder. We’ve always intended our window frames to be black so that they visually recede behind the siding, but since installation back in October we have been unable to get everything together to get them painted. So for the last eight months our window frames have been popping with the off white of the factory primed coating.
In order to get everything painted, we disassembled all of the operable pieces discovering that many (especially the sliding doors) were shockingly heavy.
Painting the basement doors
Back at the beginning of construction, we needed doors fast so that we could secure the basement as well as possible and would hold up in the weather. So we picked up some fiberglass double doors. The problem with these doors, also the problem with (as far as I know) every inexpensive exterior door, is the trim used to hold the windows in. Our first complaint is really just aesthetics, they have a really decorative shape and were molded with a faux wood grain as if someone might think that the strikingly white plastic trim is really craftsman woodwork. And now that we are in painting mode, we found out that the surface rejects all but the most toxic primers. We’ve done the best we could to do without using carcinogenic finishes in our house, but it looks like we’re going to give in on this half a square foot.
We also went to go pick up some ground cover to complete our entryway. Hopefully this summer the gaps in our steps and between stones in our pathway will fill in with the variety of thymes (mostly elfin) and Silene uniflora that we planted.